Tuesday, December 15, 2009

4 Weeks Post-Surgery and Coming Along

Okay, so it's 4 weeks (today) since surgery to replace my right hip joint and I am more than pleased with my progress. Sure, it's been a bit difficult here and there, but it's not been painful at all (controlled largely by Vicodin 5mg, 4 times per day; needed mostly to deal with the left hip joint which is scheduled to be replaced in a little more than 3 weeks, on January 7, 2010. The difficulties have been diminishing, consisting mostly of limited mobility which, with exercise and time, have been steadily decreasing. And, I've not been able to drive. Getting in and out of our car on the passenger side is becoming easier each day.

A word on Vicodin. The positive is that it does work for me. I was able to cut down the initial dosage from 8 pills to 4 pills per day, about 6 hours apart. I find that anything less (or a longer time period between pills) rather quickly results in chills, malaise, and increased pains and stiffness in my left hip joint. The negative is that after the second surgery I am sure to experience withdrawal symptoms, probably about 6 to 8 weeks post-surgery when I hope to be coming off the pain medication (late February or early March).

Getting dressed is not a problem except for getting compression stockings on my legs. Renee has been diligent about that task each morning.

The surgical scar is healing nicely. The steri-strip covering the dissolvable stitches is coming off piece by piece. The wound looks good, no oozing, no odor. I have my physical therapist check it each time I see him (2 or 3 times per week). There is a slight red portion which the therapist attributes to a "pinch point" where the movement of my hip results in movement of that portion of the surgical site.

Also, keeping my legs elevated whenever possible has been a challenge. A new lift/recliner chair works well for that, particularly when augmented by a large triangular foam pillow under my legs which helps elevate my calves when the chair is moved to reclining position. Highly recommended.

Physical therapy also works well to combat the edema present in my legs following the surgery. That's my primary focus now -- reducing and eliminating the edema.

No comments:

Post a Comment