Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My Hip Surgery -- An Interim Retrospective

It's been almost two weeks since my second hip replacement (the first was two months ago to the other hip). Some readers of this blog will be persons considering hip replacement surgery for themselves or others. Many of my friends have told me that they have hip pain or know someone who's had replacement surgery. The most common question is "how will I know when I am ready".

Much to my surprise, hip replacement surgery is considered to be "elective" surgery (see "Total Hip Replacement" for a professional discussion by MedicineNet.com). I'm sorry, but in my case there was nothing elective about it. Say, for example, a person puts your hips in a vice and tightens down on the vice causing you constant, relentless, excurtiating pain. Would you consider it elective to extricate yourself from that situation or mandatory?

But, before I get my sheets all twisted up in a knot, thankfully the descriptor "elective" relates to timing, not medical necessity. According to WiseGeek, "elective surgery is non-emergency surgery which is planned, allowing the patient and doctor to determine the best time and place for it. There is a wide range of procedures which could be considered elective, ranging from a hip replacement to a rhinoplasty, and elective surgical procedures are offered at most hospitals. The primary advantage of elective surgery is that it has a much more controllable and predictable outcome, since the variant of chance and emergency circumstances is removed."

So, notwithstanding that my surgery was considered "elective", it was covered. Coverage under my insurance was not an issue.

As to timing, I knew I was ready. My hips went downhill faster than Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards, the first competitor to represent Great Britain in Olympic ski jumping. For a time (more than a year) I was hobbling about, in pain, but managing to some extent on Advil. Things worsened toward Fall of 2009 and by October I was walking in pain but only with a cane.

Once diagnosed with advanced osteoarthritis in both hips I had two choices: (a) live with it and dope myself up to manage the pain; or (b) undergo hip replacement surgery. At that point, I was ready -- so ready that had my surgeon said he could operate the day he saw me, I would have jumped on the operating table immediately. So, that's the answer to the question. You'll know you're ready. There won't be any question.

Retrospectively would I have done anything differently? Sure, I should have been 100or more pounds lighter all my adult life, eaten better, taken better care of my health, etc. But, having found myself in the position I was last October, I would not have changed a thing. I am esctatic that I had the surgeries. My right leg is almost back to normal (operated on Nov. 17, two months ago), and my left leg makes daily positive progress returning to normality (operated on Jan. 7, 12 days ago). Oh, yes, I've lost 75 pounds and continue losing weight through better eating and increasing (albeit currently limited) exercise.

Yesterday I resumed outpatient physical therapy at a local treatment facility (SportsCare Institute, Inc. in West Nyack, New York), 11 days after my second surgery. My progress following the second surgery has been even more rapid than after the first surgery. I attribute that to my having a good opposing leg and hip this time around.

I was also genuinely enthused about being able to do 10 minutes on a stationary cycle without any difficulty, and was even able to move the pedals around their orbit easily and quickly. I was literally speeding! It was a thrill, as if all of a sudden I had two rocket-powered legs. What I had was my two legs being able to use an exercycle without pain. I haven't been able to do that in years. I am feeling terrific about that and look forward to getting back on the cycle tomorrow.

I am also able to get around a bit with a cane (still somewhat unsteady) but still use the walker most of the time.

And, while Vicodin remains part of my daily regimen, I am taking less of it and I can see an end to that in a week or two.

On the topic of costs, I am very lucky. Lucky that I was able covered for much of the expense through insurance, and able to pay for the amounts not covered. Many people are not in that position (most people in the world I would guess). Something's got to be done about that. Being the beneficiary of extraordinary healthcare, I can only wish the same for everyone, and work to seeing that become a reality. So, for those of us who question the current healthcare reform initiative, a choice that involves living with chronic pain is not a choice. Live with chronic pain for a day and you'll see what I mean.

My friends are calling me Lee Majors, the "6 million dollar man". If the cost of my surgeries is a measure, I'd say I'm more like the quarter-of-a-million dollar man.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story and letting us know that a total hip replacement surgery is nothing to be scared of. I was searching for asr hip replacement recall in Google that's why I landed on your blog. Glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, very informative. I would suggest to also check hip replacement surgery alternatives, which could be less painful and more effective than the regular surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great post,I have also suggestion about hip replacement.check out this video for more.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RMJgNat8Vk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with all, I would suggest to also check hip replacement surgery video on youtube.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RMJgNat8Vk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Therefore, it is important that the patient must undergo research before deciding to have hip replacement surgery and think what are the advantages and disadvantages will brought to their lives. In addition, it is important to have proper medication and treatment to have fully recovered.

    ReplyDelete