Sunday, January 10, 2010

My Second Hip Surgery Went Well


It's Sunday evening, January 10. Yesterday the Jets beat the Bengals; this afternoon the Pats were embarassed by the Ravens; and I'm watching Green Bay struggle unsucessfully to reprise last week's win over Arizona. You now have a good idea about what I've been able to accomplish this weekend.

My surgery went well Thursday. I am now the happy host of two replacement hip joints. Dr. Buly used size 7 Titanium Stryker pressure-fit stems driven into the centerline of my femors after carefully dislocating them from my hip plates and removing the tops to get access for the spikes.

Atop each spike is the ball portion of the ball joint that is a replacement hip. The balls' contact surfaces are ceramic and the mating cups by Depuy (a Johnson & Johnson company) are fashioned from polyethelene.

My recovery experience from this surgery seems to be a bit less daunting than the first time around. The accomodations and service at the Hospital for Special Surgery are again superb. Pain control continues to be a priority and everyone here appears to have only one priority -- patients' well-being and comfort. HSS has implemented what every service institution should strive to acheive.

I was able to shuffle along the hallway with a walker yesterday and today. I didn't go very far but it was good to get out of bed and move about.

The plan is to discharge me tomorrow morning, hopefully directly to Helen Hayes Hospital in Rockland County where last time I had a week of rehabilitation following my first hip surgery two months ago. That decision is pending approval from my insurer Oxford. I won't know for sure until tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear it all went well. I will be having my 2nd one done sometime either late this year or early next year.

    ReplyDelete