Tuesday, November 17, 2009

In the Waiting Room

Arrived at HSS at 10:00 am and walked in as a matter of principle (as opposed to using a wheel chair). I figure "walk in, walk out". Let's hope so.

Family waiting room very nice with 4-story window onto NY's East River. The gently flowing massive olive green slug of liquid is, I am sure, water. I give it about 4 knots in the southerly direction. A Kings Point Merchant Marine ship just sailed by rapidly.

The sun-filled waiting room is packed with families and patients like me waiting to be called. Breaking the white noise din every so often is the voice of a hospital official politely calling out a surname. Each time that happens I get a jolt. Will that be my name?

Hungry. Haven't eaten since "dinner" (3 ounces of chicken and a baked potato -- no sauce). Yum! A small food service stand is serving breakfast. I'll deal.

A woman announces that visiting time (11:30am) had arrived for patients in the recovery room. She sets forth the rules: 20 minute visits, one patient at a time in the recovery room; extra visitors must queue up. The waiting room empties to about half the number of people earlier.

I am sitting, waiting, emailing and now blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment