Friday, November 20, 2009

"IBM" -- I've Been Moved (to Rehab)

I'm recuperating at Helen Hayes Hospital in the Hudson Valley where visiting hours are 11 to 9. My stay could be 5 to 7 days.

Two bronco busters cowboyed my ambulance up the East Side Drive this afternoon, across the GWB and onto the PIP where the road finally smoothed out. Not to be frustrated in his efforts to give me the world's roughest ambulance ride, driver Soto weaved constantly from lane to lane in what seemed like a concerted effort to put the truck into sinuous rhythm and me strapped inside on a hard bench into an asynchronous harmonic as I bounced into the wall with each swerve of the wheel. All this as his colleague Nicki entertained between strains of a heavy beat pouring from the radio sufficient to set all of 180th St. in motion. From time to time we'd roll over the cutouts lining the lane to protect drivers who stray too far from the road with a sudden bright staccato machine gun burst that wakes those dozing drivers so as to prevent an unintended rollover.

The ride was entertaining. Good thing I had taken my pain meds in advance of the trip.

The rest of the day has been uneventful as I get settled in for PT to begin tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment