Monday, November 23, 2009

Rehab Underway


Doing well in rehab. Arrived late Friday from NYC. Not much going on in the facility over the weekend but I did manage to get in some OT and PT sessions. OT teaches basic skills like dressing, washing, reaching for things, etc. PT involves strength training, positions to avoid while healing, practice walking, stair climbing, rappelling and mountaineering.

Today I received my schedule and I have 5 classes per day.

Pain is basically gone. The right side old pain (groin, quad, glute) is totally absent. Vanished. (Left side glute hurts a bit but possibly because aggravated by sitting too long on a hard wheel-chair cushion).

The surgical site is doing well. I get a low level of post-op pain from there but less than "1" on a 1-10 scale. I've been taking 2 Norcos (5mg Vicodin plus 325mg Tylenol) 4 times per day.

Eating relatively little but getting a bit hungry at 4:00am so I've been saving something from dinner for those times.

Lots of girls here. Average age 82.

Daily blood tests to adjust Coumadin dosage.

Staying at a magnificent facility owned and run by NY State. Terrific view of the Hudson River.

Surgeon used dissolving stitches and a steristrip to cover the 10" incision so I've been able to shower since I arrived at rehab.

I hope to stay as long as possible. This is a terrific facility.

No comments:

Post a Comment